Welcome to the 2023/24 SY with the Opportunity Academy Virtual Learning Program! As we gear up for the new school year, we want to ensure that all virtual students have everything they need to successfully begin their virtual classes on the first day of school which is Aug 28th.
We held three virtual orientation sessions in August, but if you were not able to attend, you can view the live session recording here: OAVL Live Orientation Session SY 2324.mp4
Although the process is reviewed in the orientation and is detailed in the student handbook, we want to make sure that everyone is clear on the required next steps for students and families:
- Students MUST watch and pass the embedded quizzes for the seven orientation videos linked in the student handbook in order to receive their class schedules and student devices. You can access the handbook here: OAVL Student Handbook.pptx (sharepoint.com)
- To watch the videos, click on the link above for the student handbook, and on the top right, click Present. Then, go to the Orientation Videos slide on page 14. YOU MUST SWITCH IT TO PRESENT MODE IN ORDER FOR THE LINKS IN THE PRESENTATION TO WORK
- There are seven videos on the page with quizzes embedded in each video. As you watch the videos you will answer the questions as they pop up on the screen. Once complete, you'll be able to view your score. You must get at least 7 of the 10 questions correct on the quiz. If you don't, you can go back and view the video and try again
- Once all 7 videos have been watched and all quizzes passed with 70% or better, you will be able to schedule your in-person appointment to come to the school and pick up your school device and class schedule
- To schedule this appointment, go to the Resources slide of the student handbook on page 15 and, at the top left, click on the Schedule Pick-Up link for your home school. PLEASE MAKE SURE IT IS THE CORRECT SCHOOL AS YOU WILL HAVE TO RESCHEDULE IF YOU SELECT THE WRONG ONE. Once you schedule your pick-up date, you will receive email and text reminders 24 hours before your appointment
- Returning students: You will follow all steps listed above and, when you come in for your scheduled appointment, bring in your device from last year for maintenance and updates. Returning students who come in for their appointment without their old device will be asked to reschedule.
- If you come in for your appointment and have NOT passed all 7 quizzes, you will be redirected to one of our mini-labs to view and complete/retake any quizzes you haven’t taken or passed. This will prolong your appointment.
Use the provided links to access our different platforms.
Your login is
Password Birthdate: MMDDYY
Please call the OCTO Help Desk at (202) 442-5715 if you have issues with your login. We are excited to begin this second year of the virtual program and are happy to have you as a vital part of our virtual community. If you have any questions or need assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact our director, Tina Bradley, at email@example.com
We are excited to announce that we will be continuing our virtual meals program for virtual students this year! Through the program, students enrolled in the Opportunity Academy Virtual Learning Program are eligible to receive free meals weekly. The process has been streamlined this year as students will use the same link every week to register for their meal pick-up. Please see the details below for how to register.
- Students/families must place their order by 4 pm on the Wednesday PRIOR to the week of pick-up (for example, orders must be placed by tomorrow for pick-up on Sept 5th & 8th)
- Once registration is complete, students can pick up their meals on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at the area production kitchen (school) of their choice
- Students will report to the front office of the school and alert staff that they are there for virtual meal pick-ups; the kits will be brought to you in the office
- Students/families who register for meals and do not pick them up may be ineligible for future meal registration
- Area production kitchens are in the following schools by ward:
|Columbia Heights EC
The link to register for meals weekly is here: